Featured Post

Heckler & Koch HK4

The HK4 is a blow-back operated unlocked-breech semiautomatic pistol with a double-action trigger and an external hammer.  Its name is derived from the tool-free interchangeability of the four barrels in calibers 9mm Browning Short, 7.65mm Browning, 6.35mm Browning and .22 Long Rifle.  The gun cons…

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Post a Comment



When
I think of chocolate milk, two things come to my mind.  The first is the
giant container of Nestle Nesquik chocolate powder that lived in the kitchen
cupboard while I was growing up.  Not only did that chocolate powder get
stirred into milk, but was often sprinkled, quite liberally, on top of vanilla
ice cream.  The second is the number of times (which may be countless at
this point) my kiddies have talked my husband into buying them chocolate milk
at the gas station or grocery store (I don't think they have to do too much
talking into).  When my now nine year old was in preschool, I would drop
him off at school and he would tell me to have Dad pick him up.  He was
smart and knew if Dad picked him up; it meant a trip to the gas station on the
way home was far more likely than if I picked him up.  







Not
long ago, I came across a recipe for homemade chocolate syrup and decided to
change it up a bit.  I made it healthier
by using honey and agave instead of white sugar.  Whenever I can change
something we are eating (or in this case drinking) for a healthier version,
that my kiddies like even better than the not so good stuff, I say it’s a win
all around.  This chocolate syrup makes chocolate milk that is chocolaty, not
as super sweet as Nesquik, and is very easy to drink really fast with a straw,
especially when it is icy cold.  Needless to say, this past week, we've
been drinking a lot of chocolate milk around this house of mine.
















Homemade
Chocolate Syrup









1
cup unsweetened cocoa powder




1
cup cold water




1/2
cup honey




1/4
cup agave




2
tablespoons pure maple syrup




1/8
teaspoon salt (heaping)




1
tablespoon vanilla extract









In
a medium saucepan whisk all of the ingredients together until there are no
lumps.  Bring chocolate mixture to a boil over medium heat.  Reduce
heat and simmer until chocolate syrup has slightly thickened.  Remove from
heat and stir in vanilla extract.  Pour into a glass mason jar and let
cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate.  Stir a spoonful or two
(maybe three or four) into a cup filled with milk and ice and stir
vigorously.  Drink and enjoy! 









*You
could use all honey instead of the 1/4 cup agave.  My honey has a stronger
honey taste and I wanted to tone it down by using some agave.  I added the extra 2 tablespoons of pure maple
syrup for a little extra sweetness, but could easily be left out.




Related Posts

Post a Comment

Subscribe Our Newsletter