Featured Post

Heckler & Koch HK4

The HK4 is a blow-back operated unlocked-breech semiautomatic pistol with a double-action trigger and an external hammer.  Its name is derived from the tool-free interchangeability of the four barrels in calibers 9mm Browning Short, 7.65mm Browning, 6.35mm Browning and .22 Long Rifle.  The gun cons…

Spelt Pizza with Ricotta and Spicy Greens

Post a Comment
Last night I wanted to stay up
to watch some of the Voice after my kiddies had gone to
bed.  I have a serious problem staying awake once I sit down on the
couch.  It's a rare occasion if I can keep myself awake longer
than 15 minutes.  I don't even have to be lying down; in fact I'm
never lying down.  I will catch my husband frequently looking in my
direction to see if I have zonked out.  It's unfortunate,
but no matter how hard I try or how much I want to stay awake, my
eyelids are just too heavy to keep open and then I'm gone. 
I'll often tell my husband when I start to feel sleepy that the sandman
has just passed.  Once I'm asleep, it means that the sandman passed
by again and knocked me out with one of his sandbags.  The
reason I say all this is because last night to keep myself awake, I
decided to make pizza dough.  I had big plans for a great lunch
the next day.  I went to work and busied myself in the
kitchen.  Between the pizza dough making and eating a bowl of Raisin
Bran, I managed to catch a full episode of the Voice without falling asleep.




This pizza was
everything I'd hoped it would be.  I was a bit nervous how the spelt pizza
crust would turn out, but it worked perfectly and tasted perfect with the spicy
greens and creamy ricotta.  After my first couple of bites, I had to share
the deliciousness and so I took a couple of pieces to a neighbor and then
called my husband to tell him how I was in lunch
heaven.  


  



 





 


Spelt Pizza with
Ricotta and Spicy Greens






 


1 1/2 teaspoons
active dry yeast




2/3 cup warm
water




1 teaspoon honey




2 cups spelt
flour




1 teaspoon salt




1 1/2
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil






 





3 tablespoons
olive oil




12 green onions,
thinly slice (white and green parts)




2 cloves garlic,
minced




4 cups baby
kale, roughly chopped




4 cups Swiss
chard, cut leaves crosswise into 1-inch strips (about one bunch)




Salt and pepper,
to taste




Red pepper
flakes




Lemon zest




Fresh grated
parmesan cheese






 


In a small
mixing bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and honey.  Let sit for 10 minutes
or until foamy.






 


In a large
mixing bowl, stir together spelt flour and salt.  Pour in the yeast
mixture and olive oil and stir together until a dough forms (I added a bit more
water and an extra tablespoon of olive oil to help the dough come
together).  Cover and let the dough rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes or
until it has doubled in size.






 


Place the dough
in a Ziploc bag and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.






 


An hour before
baking the pizza, remove dough from the refrigerator.  Place pizza stone
in the oven.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 






 


Cut dough into
two equal pieces.  Roll one piece of dough into a
rectangle.  Transfer the rolled out dough to the back side
of baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.  Prick a
few times with a fork, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt.






 


Slide the
parchment paper with the pizza dough onto the baking stone in the
oven.  Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Meanwhile, heat
the olive oil in a large skillet.  Sauté the green onions for 4-5 minutes
over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until
fragrant.  Add the kale and Swiss chard and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until
just wilted.  Season with salt and pepper.  Dump the greens in a
colander and toss a few times to let juices drain.






 


Remove pizza
from oven by sliding parchment paper with the pizza back onto the back side of
a baking sheet.  Spread half of the ricotta on the pizza dough; place half
the greens on top, sprinkle
lightly with red
pepper flakes and a light dusting of lemon zest and freshly grated parmesan
cheese.  Slide pizza back into the oven for 3-4 minutes to warm
through.  Repeat with second piece of dough.  Eat and enjoy!


 


 


Note:  To make this a bit easier, you could forget about the pizza stone and just place the rolled out dough onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and cook the dough on the baking sheet.  One baking sheet should be big enough for all of the dough.






 


Recipe slightly
adapted from
The
Yellow Table




Related Posts

Post a Comment

Subscribe Our Newsletter