Featured Post

Heckler & Koch HK4

The HK4 is a blow-back operated unlocked-breech semiautomatic pistol with a double-action trigger and an external hammer.  Its name is derived from the tool-free interchangeability of the four barrels in calibers 9mm Browning Short, 7.65mm Browning, 6.35mm Browning and .22 Long Rifle.  The gun cons…

Egg Salad with Stone Ground Mustard and Pickled Celery

Post a Comment
I found this recipe for egg
salad about a week ago and its addition of pickled celery had me hooked (I like
pickley things).  I don't make egg salad very often with the exception of
when I was pregnant with my now almost 9 year old (how did time go so
fast??).  Once I slowly crept out of the "food is not my friend"
stage, I found that I could manage to eat egg salad sandwiches on white
bread.  I am pretty sure that I ate an egg salad sandwich for lunch the
entire second half of my pregnancy (that is a lot of eggs).  I think it's
safe to say that the reason egg salad hasn't made frequent appearances in my
kitchen is because of my egg overdose 9 years ago. But I can assure you that
after eating this egg salad for lunch yesterday, it won't stay away for long and is
sure to make many more appearances in the very near future. (The pickled celery
is awesome!)














Egg Salad with Stone Ground
Mustard and Pickled Celery






Pickled Celery







1/4 cup white wine vinegar



1/4 cup water



2 teaspoons kosher salt



1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar



2 stalks celery, trimmed, very
small dice








Combine vinegar, water, kosher
salt and sugar in a jar and stir or shake until the salt and sugar
dissolves.  Add diced celery to jar, cover and place in the fridge for at
least 30 minutes, ideally one hour and up to one week.








Egg Salad







4 large hard boiled eggs,
chopped




2 teaspoons stone ground mustard



1 tablespoon minced red onion



2 tablespoons mayonnaise



2 tablespoons pickled celery (or
more to taste)




Salt and freshly ground black
pepper to taste




Fresh dill (to garnish)







Place chopped hard boiled eggs
in a medium bowl.  Add mustard, red onion, mayonnaise, pickled celery, salt
and pepper and mix to combine.  Taste and adjust seasoning if
necessary.  Serve on lightly toasted good quality bread.  (I had a
loaf of bread that I had made for a different meal in my freezer that worked
great.  The recipe for the bread is on my Aunt Traci's blog.  See
recipe here.)








Recipe adapted slightly from Smitten
Kitchen


Related Posts

Post a Comment

Subscribe Our Newsletter